Browsing Entries: Top 10 Tuesday
Hey, remember when the weather forecasts said stuff like "Sunny and 85 today"? Yeahhhh, it's colder now. Rather than complaining about the dropping temperatures outside, think of a way to enjoy them. Ski trip!
Holiday Golightly's Top 10 Best Things About A Ski Weekend
1) Schussss! - We love that awesome sound that comes from carving your way down the slopes. Schusss, schussss, sch -OUCH, clank, bonk, thud. Heavy sigh. I'm okay!
2) Fluffy snow - this is particularly exciting if you live somewhere that rarely sees snow. You know, somewhere where everyone freaks out if there are 2 inches of snow on the ground, and everyone forgets how to drive, and they don't have the proper equipment to clear the roads, so there are a lot of resulting traffic accidents. It's tougher to really enjoy the snow in those places.
3) Taking in the quiet scenery from the chair lift - shhhhh. Not schussssss.
4) Midday lunch break - Cheeseburger & fries. WHAT?! We're skiing?! When else can you feel absolutely no guilt about cheeseburger and fries for lunch?
5) All-day exercise, disguised as fun - see #1 and #4.
6) Hot chocolate
7) Hot chocolate with Kaluha
8) Dressing in layers - you don't even need to bother trying to look thin.
9) Hot tub - you will need to bother trying to look thin. Unless you've had several #7s. And then, who cares!
10) Ski instructors -um, Travis? I didn't really get that last move. Could you show me again, and this time hold me while you're doing it?
Are you wearing red, white and blue today? Well, you should be. It's election day! Whether you voted absentee (while sitting on the living room floor in your pajamas), or plan to go to the booths today (in your red, white and blue outfit - go ahead, we'll wait for you to go home and change), you can feel good about being an American.
We wanted to remind everyone, not to mention ourselves, why we vote. This may or may not have involved watching a few old Schoolhouse Rock videos. Please enjoy Holiday Golightly's Top 10 Reasons to Vote, with a little help from the Preamble to the Constitution.
1) To form a more perfect union - okay, perfection is overrated and can be boring, but we love a good union! The union of two people in love, the union of peanut butter and chocolate, the union of the snake. Discuss!
2) Establish justice - yes, please! We would also like to see certain injustices rectified: guys who say they'll call, then don't; the drastically escalating cost of designer footwear; the return of leggings-as-pants.
3) Ensure domestic tranquility - because tranquility is contagious, and if we can be tranquil domestically, we can work on being tranquil internationally. Can't you just picture all of us swinging in hammocks, collectively sipping glasses of Semillon?
4) Provide for the common defense - normally we find defensiveness kind of annoying, but protecting ourselves is just good policy. Just ask the people at Kotex.
5) Promote the general welfare - welfare has become somewhat of a negative term, with loaded political connotations. The main definition is "Health, happiness, and good fortune". We're going with that one.
6) Secure the blessings of liberty - we love a good blessing; particularly when we sneeze.
7) Life - yes, because without life, what do you have?
8) Liberty - liberty = freedom, and we rely on these things to live our lives the way we want.
9) The pursuit of happiness - "Happiness" is our new nickname for Zac Efron.
and last, but not least
10) Because you CAN - you know how sometimes someone says "You can't have a cupcake, because they're for the party", or "You can't just take those Christian Louboutins out of the store without paying for them"? Doesn't that just boil your butter?
Get out there and make your opinion count!
We are quick-thinking individuals, and can talk our ways out of just about anything. Babysitting your neighbor's twin boys? Ohhh shoot, you'll be out of town. Driving your boss to the airport? Darnit, you've got to babysit your neighbor's twin boys. See what we did there?
You shouldn't need to create excuses to avoid a girlfriend getaway, and yet here we are. The Top 10 Excuses For Not Taking A Girlfriend Getaway. We've heard them all.
1) I can't take the time off - are you sure? Have you asked nicely? And when we say "nicely" we mean you have to say "Pretty please, with sugar on top?"
2) I can't afford it - ring-ring...oh, is that your iPhone?
3) I don't have any girlfriends - now this just makes us sad. If you do not currently have any girlfriends, make an effort to rustle some up. Start with the Oprah website - there are myriad discussion groups there.
4) I can't leave my kids - this is an occasionally legitimate excuse, but more often than not it's separation anxiety. Yours, not theirs.
5) I have to wash my hair - oh wait, this was Marcia from an episode of "Brady Bunch", sorry.
6) I'm rearranging my sock drawer - we're not asking you out for a second date, after taking you out to dinner at McDonald's; we're offering a girlfriend getaway.
7) I wouldn't know where to go - here are a few suggestions.
8) I wouldn't know what to pack - here are a few suggestions.
9) It's just not the right time - try a different watch.
10) I can't remember the question - take your meds and call us in the morning.
Stop putting "sexy" or "naughty" in front of any occupation and calling it a Halloween costume. If you must go with the sexy-angle, do Marilyn Monroe or Jessica Rabbit. "Sexy toll-booth operator" is just not right.
In one of the other "Top 10 Women's Halloween Costumes" lists, there were four that began with "sexy", and two with "naughty". Here are our picks that do not require either of those adjectives.
1) Rosie the Riveter - we love the retro look, and Rosie is a cultural icon signifying strong, capable women. Plus it's a cute costume, and you don't have to do your hair.
2) Trophy Wife - a great tongue-in-cheek costume, where you will need to do your hair.
3) Anything with an Afro - if you haven't worn an Afro wig (or an actual Afro), you haven't lived. Those are FUN to shake around, plus you can hide candy in it! Foxy Cleopatra, Angela Davis, whomever. Build the costume around the Afro.
4) Wonder Woman - you don't have to put "sexy Wonder Woman" because that is implied.
5) Joan of Arc - another strong female role model-ish type. Wearing that heavy chainmail costume will be an extra workout, and carrying a sword is just good defensive strategy in case someone tries to steal your candy.
6) Cruella deVil - or any other Disney villain. The kooky hair and crazy makeup do require a bit of work.
7) Leather Tuscadero - if you have no idea who this is, please use Google to educate yourself. Leather Tuscadero is a "Happy Days" icon!
8) Mary Katherine Gallagher - if you must wear the Catholic school uniform, at least funny it up a bit.
9) Carmen Miranda - with her flouncy flamenco costume and her headdress made of fruit, this is a colorful - not to mention tasty - option.
10)Marie Antoinette - the infamous fashionable dauphine You can do either with head:
Whatever you do, celebrate responsibly and don't overdo it on the Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. You'll still want to be your sexy, naughty self when the festivities are over.
It's mid-October already. Where has the time gone?! What am I doing with my life?! Why are we here?! Wait, that wasn't the purpose of this post. We want to make sure you're stopping to smell the roses, so to speak. In this case, you should be stopping to smell the pumpkins.
If you have been neglecting this fine Fall month, here are our Top 10 Ways To REALLY Enjoy October:
1) The Fall TV lineup - by now you should know which of the shows are worth your time, and you can ignore "Eli Stone", even though Katie Holmes is making a guest appearance. Ed note: have not actually watched Eli Stone, but found the commercials for it a bit cloying. Apologies to any fans, if it is truly a good show.
2) Appreciate the changing leaves - and then rake them into a huge pile and jump in them, where you can appreciate the October sky.
3) Oktoberfest - bier me!
5) Get new boots - yeah, you probably already did this in September, but who says you only need one pair of boots?
6) Apple picking
7) The Emmys - sure, they're over now, but you watched them and enjoyed them didn't you? At least the red carpet?
8) Outdoor running (or other exercise) minus the excessive sweat.
10) Don't cook or bake anything, or buy any presents: Sound awful and selfish? October is the last non-holiday-crazy month of the year. Enjoy it while you can!
Girlfriend getaways are all about reconnecting with friends and sharing experiences. Adrenaline rushes count as experiences, and while yes, we do get a fierce high from shoe-shopping, this Top 10 list involves some activities you won't want to do in high heels.
Top 10 Girlfriend Getaway Adrenaline Rushes:
1) Skydiving - if you haven't done this yet, you will think it is completely crazy, but it is one of the most exhilirating experiences. Most skydive outfits require tandem jumps, with an expert, so there are no real responsibilities for you, other than pulling the cord when ordered. You and your girlfriends will go through the prep class together, and can take unflattering photographs in the airplane, while wearing a helmet and goggles, and then GERONIMO!
2) Bungee jumping - slightly more nerve-wracking than skydiving, as you do this solo and are bound at the ankles, it is no less-exhilarating. You'll need your girlfriends there to help talk each other into jumping off a tiny square platform, while attached to a very thick, bouncy cord. There may or may not be a good deal of swearing on the way down.
3) Horseback riding - most rides in the United States will not really get your blood pumping, as there are restrictions on how fast the horses can go, liability, blah blah. However, in other countries, you may be permitted a good canter or two, so you and your girls can yell "YeeeHaaa!" while singing the theme to "Bonanza" at the top of your lungs.
Photo: Seven Devils Lodge
4) Trapeze school -fans of "Sex & The City" will remember the episode where Carrie faces her fears and quite literally lets go at the trapeze school. This is a great girlfriend getaway activity, as well as a metaphor for life. Bring your most uptight friends with serious control issues.
5) Skiing - by far the most common activity, and easiest to consider, skiing will absolutely give you that rush. Particularly if you are under the impression you will be doing a Blue run called "Lucky's Run", and instead find yourself at the top of a Double Black Diamond named "Fright Gulley".
6) Whitewater rafting - a sunny day, a rubber boat, and you and your girlfriends paddling through Class IV rapids while shrieking and trying not to fall off the side. Even if your feet are partially frozen from the icy water, keep them tucked under the protective straps. Trust us on this.
7) Hot-air ballooning - the adrenaline rush will come mostly from your sharp intakes of breath from the stunning views you'll be privy to, in the basket of a hot-air balloon. Up, up and away!
8) Paragliding - another activity most safely done in tandem-style with an expert. You're running, you're running, you're running...and you're jumping! And then you're floating. Ahhhhhhhh.
9) Surfing - zip up those wetsuits, pull back your hair, and get out on those boards. Surfing is not only an adrenaline rush (once you finally get up on the board), but it is one of the best total-body workouts you'll find.
10) Okay, shoe-shopping - I mean when you are just browsing for nothing in particular, and happen to stumble across a pair of Stella McCartney slingbacks, marked 80% off, just try to keep your heart rate down.
Make your girlfriend getaway even more memorable by incorporating one (or more) of these thrilling rides, and make sure someone is there with a camera!
Traveling girlfriends get hungry, and when we get hungry we get cranky. Stock that mini-bar! But instead of candy bars, potato chips, and sodas, try some snacks that won't kill your diet, or baffle your digestive system.
Our Top 10 Healthy Mini-Bar Stockers:
1) Water - hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! You know you're going to be imbibing, so make sure to balance the drinks with water. If you forget to do this, you will need twice as much the next morning.
2) Fruit - dried or not, it's as close to candy as possible, yet still contains nutritional value. If you need to, we give you permission to consider wine a fruit.
3) Cherry tomatoes - they're so cute and juicy, and have you heard all that good stuff about lycopene?
4) Baby carrots - another cute snack option, they're also crunchy, and they have beta carotene. Is this starting to sound like science class?
5) Plain pretzels - most mini-bars include overly salted or oddly-flavored versions of our friend, the pretzel, but the original is the best healthy option. We wish we could recommend those giant, smooshy pretzels as a healthy snack option, but they're just not. Sorry.
6) Hummus -this is so much better than those artificially flavored chip dips. Have you read the ingredients on those? Yikes. Hummus is creamy, garlicky, and the perfect dip for #s 3, 4, and 5.
7) Salsa - dipping snacks in goo is second-nature to Americans (see #6). We can't NOT do it. Salsa is fat free and zesty, and we LOVE saying "zesty".
8) Nuts - almonds, cashews, peanuts, macadamia nuts - keep an eye on the salted versions, but it's all protein, which satiates the hunger. These are perfect for when your dinner reservations aren't for another hour and a half, but you're starving. STARVING! Who makes dinner reservations for 10:30PM?!
9) Pita chips - a fantastic substitute for potato chips, and they're even more satisfying because they're thicker and very, very crunchy. Bring these in the safari van, just keep the crunching to a minimum so as not to frighten the cheetah.
10) Low fat string cheese - who doesn't love string cheese? No one, that's who. It reminds us of when we were little, plus it's cheese that is convenient to eat, even if you're running out the door on the way to go hot air ballooning.
Girlfriend getaways should be happy things that we all look forward to. We don't want to associate them with weight gain, so snack smart, and save the calories for those Margaritas.
NOOOOOOO! The alarm didn't go off. You haven't finished packing, and still need to drop off the keys with the dog-sitter, get to the airport, find parking...GAAAAAAAH!
This is a likely scenario on Travel Day, so try to prepare as much as possible beforehand:
1) Plot your travel ensemble in advance: slip-on, flat shoes for quick security-line (no buckles, laces, zippers, etc) and airport sprinting, stretch denim jeans for comfort, tank top, cardigan sweater, and easy jacket (again no complicated buckles or difficult buttons). We'd recommend velcro-everything if it wasn't so unattractive.
2) Print your boarding pass the night before. This way you will not have to wait in the winding line in front of the counter, and if you have no checked luggage, you can go straight to your gate. RUN FORREST, RUN!
3) Get cash the night before: airport machines are occasionally "out of funds", or have enormously long lines.
4) Accessorize afterward: Put your watch, belt, and clanky earrings in a side pocket of your purse until after you get through security - this will save you a few seconds, and when you're late, every second counts. You can actually pull these things off and tuck them in your purse while in line.
5) Keep your ID and boarding pass handy: in a pocket, rather tucked into your wallet or daily planner. You'll need to show it to security, and again, seconds count.
6) Exercise savvy line tactics: Pick the security line with solo business travelers, with small bags. Avoid getting stuck behind families, who will struggle a bit more getting everything together and on the conveyor belt, and might inadvertently put their newborn through the scanner.
7) 3 oz On Top: Throw the 3 oz Ziploc baggie into your purse, on top, so you can just pull it out and plop it in the small tray. Once you get through security, you can pack it properly into your carry-on bag.
8) Go directly to gate: After making it through security, hopefully with your dignity intact, go directly to your gate. Do not pass GO, do not collect $200 (unless it's just laying on the floor in front of you), do not stop at any of the shops you see en route. It is crucial to find your gate first, as it may be much further away that you think. You do not want to be sipping on your Starbucks triple espresso, perusing the airport map, when you discover you need to take a tram past 3 other terminals, then walk 4 miles to get to your gate.
9) Use the moving walkways. The "standers" should be standing to the right side, so you can keep your brisk pace on the left side, and get a little extra distance thanks to the walkway.
And if all else fails
10) Run Forrest. Run.
In-flight movies are rarely known for their box office prowess. We usually get the straight-to-video messes that include stunted performances by Jessica Simpson, or the feeble-plotted second-tier Disney movies, that disappoint even the toddlers. Give us the goods!
Very few people still enjoy the experience of flying, and many actually fear it. Laughter is not only the best medicine, it is a great stress reliever. The airlines should stock their video repertoire with comedies, comedies, and more comedies. And GOOD ones, at that. Not comedies that are only comedies in quotation marks - we're talking to you "Failure to Launch".
Our Top 10 Picks for In Flight Movies:
1) Sixteen Candles - we loathe the bus, but think the plane is okay. Here's hoping Jake Ryan is in the seat next to you.
2) Weird Science - AWESOME teenage fantasy fun. Why is this never shown on TBS on a rainy Sunday afternoon?
3) A Fish Called Wanda - it's a comedy AND a jewel heist flick. Kevin Kline's performance, as the idiot weapons expert, Otto, is reason enough to see this.
4) Superbad - Superbad is supergood, and we love Michael Cera in anything.
5) Austin Powers - Granted, they do show this on rainy Sunday afternoons on TBS, but it's still crazy, hilarious, spoofy movie excitement.
6) L.A. Story -wildly underrated early-90s satire covering Los Angeles culture. Is that an oxymoron?
7) Election - appropo of the current political climate , you must see Reese Witherspoon as a driven, clawing, conscience-free high school student running for student council.
8) Dirty Rotten Scoundrels -beautiful French Riviera as the backdrop, and absolutely hilarious Steve Martin and Michael Caine as morally bankrupt hustlers.
9) Flirting With Disaster -early Ben Stiller with an insane ensemble cast. Tea Leoni is even funnier in this than in Spanglish. Well, maybe just as funny - she's fantastic.
10) Some Like it Hot -classic Marilyn Monroe, and giggly cross-dressing Tony Curtis & Jack Lemmon.
We're going to need the headsets, and could we also get some Junior Mints?
Much like the alphabet game you play while on a roadtrip, where you seek out the letters of the alphabet in billboards, roadsigns and license plates, our airport game is a fun diversion to pass the time and makes people-watching a semi-organized sport.
On your next trip, make a checklist and see how many of these you can spot.
Top 10 People To Spot At The Airport:
1) Business-Guy - talking loudly on his cell phone about moving meetings around, and getting those reports to him ASAP. He is far more important than you, so try not to be offended when he cuts in front of you in the boarding line after whacking you with his briefcase.
2) Fashion Victim - this visual treat is usually in her 50s or 60s, overloaded with designer logos, dripping in fur and gold lame and wearing skyscraper heels, in which she is teetering dangerously through the terminal.
3) University Sports Team - complete with traveling tracksuit uniforms and very fit physiques -usually loud and boisterous, but we forgive the loud and boisterous for the fit physiques.
4) Harried Suburban Family - stroller-wrangling and toddler-pacifying couple, who look as if they haven't slept in a few days, skillfully ignoring the shrieking children while looking for the restroom; undoubtedly going to, or returning from grandma & grandpa's.
5) Returning Vacationers - just back from Mexico (or Jamaica, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, etc) - these people will be sunburned/suntanned and wearing shorts, flip flops, puka shells and possibly a straw hat - regardless of the temperatures in their arrival city, or the airport terminal.
6) Backpackers - clad in polarfleece and zip-leg pants, toting a worn copy of the Lonely Planet, with a somewhat sloppy air and possible dreadlocks. Probably on their way to Europe to "check out Amsterdam".
7) Large Foreign Family (various ethnicities) - cloaked in the garb typical to their country, with grandmother, mother, father, aunt, and usually 2 or 3 children, carrying odd boxes and shopping bags as luggage, and arguing about who has the boarding passes.
8) Paris Hilton Clone - overly blonde, overly trendy girl wearing enormous sunglasses - despite being inside - and traveling with small dog, with jeweled collar, in designer bag. She is just a few short years away from being #2.
9) Army Personnel - dressed in camouflage fatigues, carrying one small, efficient carry-on, and a serious expression.
10) Chatty Girlfriends - these travelers will by far be the most entertaining, chic, savvy individuals you will see at the airport (wink wink). They will be wearing their cute travel shoes, statement jewelry, and smart travel coats, carrying profound, scholarly reading material and possibly doing one or more of our Top 10 Things To Do When Stuck At The Airport.
- airplane travel
- austin weekend
- awards show
- bachelorette trends
- bachelorette weekend
- bouder, co
- bridal insanity
- bride gift ideas
- bridesmaid essentials
- britney spears
- cabo san lucas
- cameron mathison
- celebrities in airports
- celebrity fashion
- chicago weekend
- colorado getaway
- cowgirl weekend
- dining with girlfriends
- divvy it up
- food & wine
- friday men
- girlfriend getaway
- girlfriend weekend
- girls beach trip
- girls brunch
- girls gone fabulous
- girls night
- girls weekend
- golden globes
- guilty pleasure
- john krasinski
- katie holmes
- las vegas
- marthas vineyard
- new york
- new york weekend
- packing dilema
- san francisco weekend
- sex and the city
- ski package
- ski weekend
- spa getaway
- stacy london
- surf camp
- travel fashion
- travel to italy
- travel to tuscany and umbria
- valentines day for girls
- valentines day for singles
- wedding wear
- weekend activities
- weight loss
- what not to wear
- wine event
- winery weekend
- winter blahs